Friday, May 26, 2017

Armoured Containers

For Armageddon, I've built painted and weathered a set of Armoured Containers.


These GW models come in a box with a number of other items; notably, ammunition crates and oil drums. Haven't painted those yet...but I suppose it's just a matter of time.


I think this teal green crate turned out the best. The weathering paints and powders I used seemed to show up best for this base colour.


I built this one with one of the container doors in the down position.


And both doors down on this light blue one. This is the one I'm least satisfied with. The light, bright blue just didn't take on the weathering very well.


'Til next time.

May's Paint Night

Ever since last Fall, a group of Edmonton hobbyists and gamers has been meeting in my basement once a month to paint, build models and play games. These sessions have been audio captured, and are up on YouTube as the Painting is a 4-Letter Word series, here.

Our meeting in May was not recorded, but I did take some photos.

Here, Ward is showing off some of his new 28mm 40K cars. Totally sweet.


He spent the night painting an infinity model. Mostly working on the blue layering.


Mike was working on his Dwarves for Blood Bowl.


Barry is always working on Blood Bowl. A Goblin this evening.


Blood Bowl was the theme at this session. Tom was working on his Orc team.


On the other hand, I was working on weathering some armoured containers for Shadow War: Armageddon.


I've fallen behind on posting new Painting is a 4-Letter Word audio recordings. Something I hope to remedy this weekend.

'Til next time.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Second Armageddon Terrain Piece

Well, these Shadow War Armageddon terrain pieces take a while to paint.


This is my second one so far, and one more major piece to go.


I've had one night of Armageddon play so far, with Elliot. He brought is Harlequins, and dispatched my cultists in two quick matches.


The process for painting this terrain was captured in an earlier blog post, here.


The third and final piece is built and the base painting is done. Just the weathering to go on next.


'Til next time.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Genestealer Cult Kill Team

First game of Shadow War Armageddon is coming up Tuesday, so I needed to get my Kill Team done this weekend. Love the Genestealer Cult Hybrids, so am continuing to build from that box, as well as the Deathwatch boxed set.


As previously shown, the figures were assembled and then primed black with an overspray of white. You can see the test figure on the right. Orange was the main airbrush color for the bodies, and this was really helped along by the pre-shading undercoat.


The heads were done separately. First primed.


Then inked.


Then airbrushed to get the basic skin tones down. Highlights and details were done later by hand.


Meanwhile, the bodies were given their light blue armor pieces, and other details were painted in like boots and guns.


Once all assembled and final details were painted in, the squad was complete...and ready for some Necromunda action.


'Til next time.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Shadow War Armageddon First Terrain Piece Done

 OK, who else has noticed that too many games are coming out? Dropzone, Dropfleet, Blood Bowl, Prospero, Hammerhal, never mind the backlog of Age of Sigmar stuff clogging up my table. Well, last weekend, Shadow War Armageddon dropped. It's the re-release of Necromunda. And it sold out here in Edmonton in about an hour. Fortunately, I had a pre-order.

First terrain piece done.


Actually, the box is mostly terrain. Sure, there are a few sprues of Orcs and Marine scouts from the 40K universe. But, mostly it's a box of terrain. A big box of terrain.


Here's the painting process I used (borrowing heavily from the weathering tutorial I took down at the LVO a few months back).

I started with assembly, and then a white primer coat.


Then oversprayed five shades of Secret Weapon Rust.


Then the secret ingredient. Sponged on latex mold builder.


Next, sprayed on the main colours. I chose all cool, neutral tones.


Then the latex was rubbed off, revealing some awesome rust spots.


Then I went to work with acrylic washes for shading, and worked up the rust with a mix of washes, rust paint and glaze medium.


Combat zone...oops, blood.


All the techniques were quick...but the piece is so big, it took the better part of a week to finish off.


Can't wait to get the whole set done and out on the table for some Necromunda goodness.


A final shot. Really happy with how it turned out, and now have a process down to move onto the other pieces.


Started into my first hive gang...I mean, kill team. Genestealer Cult. These figs are from the Hybrid box and Deathwatch Overkill. The figure on the right is a completed cultist (painted for Rogue Stars), which I'm going to use as the pattern for my Armageddon team. Also started into the bases, seen in the foreground.


In order to get the orange jumpsuit to look proper in this scale, I've resorted to severe pre-shading.


The figures were primed in black, and then highlighted in pure white in order to set down a layer that will take the airbrushed orange base colour.


'Til next time.



Friday, April 14, 2017

Painting is a 4-Letter Word...Episode #4

Here is the audio capture from our February painting night. As always...explicit language warning.



'Til next time.

Saturday, April 8, 2017

Some Better Photography

Trotted out the lightbox.

Bloodreavers.


Slaughterpriest.


And a final shot.


The new Necromunda is out today...time to build some terrain.

'Til next time.