Saturday, April 15, 2017

Shadow War Armageddon First Terrain Piece Done

 OK, who else has noticed that too many games are coming out? Dropzone, Dropfleet, Blood Bowl, Prospero, Hammerhal, never mind the backlog of Age of Sigmar stuff clogging up my table. Well, last weekend, Shadow War Armageddon dropped. It's the re-release of Necromunda. And it sold out here in Edmonton in about an hour. Fortunately, I had a pre-order.

First terrain piece done.


Actually, the box is mostly terrain. Sure, there are a few sprues of Orcs and Marine scouts from the 40K universe. But, mostly it's a box of terrain. A big box of terrain.


Here's the painting process I used (borrowing heavily from the weathering tutorial I took down at the LVO a few months back).

I started with assembly, and then a white primer coat.


Then oversprayed five shades of Secret Weapon Rust.


Then the secret ingredient. Sponged on latex mold builder.


Next, sprayed on the main colours. I chose all cool, neutral tones.


Then the latex was rubbed off, revealing some awesome rust spots.


Then I went to work with acrylic washes for shading, and worked up the rust with a mix of washes, rust paint and glaze medium.


Combat zone...oops, blood.


All the techniques were quick...but the piece is so big, it took the better part of a week to finish off.


Can't wait to get the whole set done and out on the table for some Necromunda goodness.


A final shot. Really happy with how it turned out, and now have a process down to move onto the other pieces.


Started into my first hive gang...I mean, kill team. Genestealer Cult. These figs are from the Hybrid box and Deathwatch Overkill. The figure on the right is a completed cultist (painted for Rogue Stars), which I'm going to use as the pattern for my Armageddon team. Also started into the bases, seen in the foreground.


In order to get the orange jumpsuit to look proper in this scale, I've resorted to severe pre-shading.


The figures were primed in black, and then highlighted in pure white in order to set down a layer that will take the airbrushed orange base colour.


'Til next time.



Friday, April 14, 2017

Painting is a 4-Letter Word...Episode #4

Here is the audio capture from our February painting night. As always...explicit language warning.



'Til next time.

Saturday, April 8, 2017

Some Better Photography

Trotted out the lightbox.

Bloodreavers.


Slaughterpriest.


And a final shot.


The new Necromunda is out today...time to build some terrain.

'Til next time.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Shadows Over Hammerhal

Whew...it feels like I haven't finished a painting project in a long time. And when I look back, it's true. Well, finally off the painting table is the first batch of 10 figures from the new Warhammer Quest game, Shadows Over Hammerhal.

I started with the Bloodreavers. Here they are assembled and based on some resin inserts.


Hammerhead is different than Silver Tower, in that it uses a GM to run the game. Not sure how that will go down with the game group. Well, we'll see...in time...once all the damn figures are painted!


Assembled figures were primed white, as usual.


And then they got the floor wax treatment.


To speed things up, I sprayed on the skin tones, and some dark brown for the pants.


Then I worked on the skin for a bit. Basic wash, and some bruising around the scars.


Large areas of base colours went down next. Red and metal, mostly. Also worked on the bases at this point.


Then came all the detail and finishing work (including some highlight passes on the skin). Once everything was done, I dropped the resin base inserts into the base blanks (thanks Cool Mini Or Not). And the first enemies of the Hammerhal set are complete.


At the same time, I painted this Slaughterpriest figure that came with the relaunch issue of White Dwarf last September.


Pretty cool figure, actually, and you can use it in Silver Tower.


 Well, that's all for today.

'Til next time.