Well, time to get back to painting wargaming figures. I'm running a Carentan, Normandy scenario for the local convention this spring, so I've got to get hopping on the forces. I'll be pitting a platoon of 101st Airborne against a platoon of Fallschirmjagers (a la episode 3 of Band of Brothers). Here's a little source imagery for the American Paratroopers.
The uniforms are a sand color, with light khaki webbing and packs. Helmet is dark olive green and boots are brown leather.
I'm starting with Artizan 28mm figures. They come in a nice variety of poses and have plenty of character. The bare metal fig...mold lines, bent gun and all!
I prime in white.
I then do a dark ink pass. This isn't for final shading so much as my aging eyes really need help in seeing the detail of the figure. By doing this dip, I can see where I can expend effort to make the final figure pop.
Next I paint the skin (I use the method of painting the figure from the inside out, so to speak).
For skin I've recently switched over to the Foundry three-tone system, and add in a flesh wash after the shade base coat.
Next I move on to the uniform. This is the base coat with field drab and another ink wash for shading.
I layer-paint the cloth. Base coat is Vallejo US Field Drab, mid tone is Green Ochre and highlight is Dark Sand.
Leather is done with Foundry Tan.
I use this paint progression for the olive helmets and reinforcement patches, as well as the light khaki webbing/packs. Starting from the left, dark green bits start with Vallejo US Dark Green and highlight with Khaki. Webbing starts with Khaki, then the mid tone is Buff and the highlight is Pale Sand.
And the result is a US Airborne fig. Base is glue and sand painted in GW Scorched Brown, highlighted with Vomit Brown and Bleached Bone. Grass is GW static grass.
And here is the current state of the US platoon...plenty of painting to go!
'Til next time.