Sunday, October 27, 2013

Ragman and Flag

This week's Journeyman League painting challenge was to finish off a solo and a 40mm scenario flag.

For the solo, I chose to do Ragman, a Mercenary that usually is taken in armies to de-buff armor. This is a rear-angle shot. Like Wrong Eye a few weeks back, I broke up his cloak and painted several shades of leather brown and rawhide.

The flag uses a resin Dwarf ruin piece from the Scibor set. Just stuck in a brass rod section and added a dark ages flag from Little Big Man studios.

The painting challenges continue, so from the league in coming weeks.

'Til next time.

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Two Warcasters

I've joined the LGS Journeyman League for this season, and each week there's a painting challenge. So, for the next 5 weeks, I'll be posting what I paint for the league. This week's challenge was one regular 'caster and one epic 'caster.

For my regular, I chose to paint up Broadside Bart. I'm slowly building up a Bart/Galleon list to compliment my Damiano Tier 4 Bart had to come up at some point! I tried to match his artwork in the Mercenaries book.

For the epic 'caster, I chose ENemo. He was one of the left over miniatures I had from my foray into Cygnar at the end of last year. Really beautiful model, and I was happy to paint it.

I sprayed most of the blue, and then put much of the effort into finishing it off with brush work.

And here are the two together.

'Til next time.

Friday, October 11, 2013

Damiano Tier 4 Project: Part 12...Done!

The last unit that I needed to finish painting for my 50-point Damiano Free Company army was the second unit of cavalry...and here it is. The only difference between these guys and my other cav unit is that their shields are blue. Big deal. Again, nice models, and they hit like Mac trucks during games.

It's been a long haul, but the Free Company list is finally done. As you can see...the theme here is metal-clad infantry with camo 'jacks. I'm satisfied with the final result. These mercs turned out to be the battle-ready veterans I was hopoing for. Sure, they skew more towards utility than fashion and flair, but that means they're ready to go about the business of slogging through the mud, and then taking and holding the battlefield. What more could you ask from a mercenary force?

This has been a fun project, but I'm happy it's finally over. Now I have a couple of other things coming onto the table. First, I have a Bart/Galleon list I'd like to paint up, and second, I'm playing Legion during this season's Journeyman I've got plenty of models to paint for hobby points in that competition.

'Til next time.

Friday, October 4, 2013

12 Points of Spiny Growth

The next army I'm going to work on is a Bart/Galleon list. While I only have three models to finish painting for my Tier 4 Damiano project, I got anxious to dig into Bart's list. To whit...Here are Wrong Eye, Snapjaw and a Bull Snapper. Otherwise known as 12 points of Spiny Growth.

Of the three, I think my favorite model is Snapjaw. He's just so beefy...and plenty of deep detail in the sculpt, which makes painting much, much easier. I built up the cork basing beneath his feet to tip him upwards a little bit.

The simplest model of the three was the Bull Snapper. Nothing special here...a very straightforward paint job. Like with Snapjaw, I airbrushed in a little mottling to vary up the green base color and make it a bit more visually interesting.

I'm not big on the Gatorman-Voodoo theme in Hordes, so Wrong Eye looks a little goofy to my way of thinking. However, the patchwork coat was very fun to paint.

Another view of this solo 'lock.

So here's to Spiny Growth and +2 armor on Galleon. We'll see how that works out in practice.

'Til next time.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Some Quick Warmachine Objective Markers

As a short diversion, I decided to whip up a couple of quick Warmachine 50mm objective markers. I find that little projects like this help break up the drudgery of long bouts of single point infantry painting.

To get a project like this going, it helps to have a well-stocked bits container. For objectives, you can use practically anything that's thematic, dramatic or narratively interesting. While I was searching for the subject of these objective markers, I dug up some resin dwarf ruin statuary bits made by Scibor Miniatures. Perfect!

The original molds were a little big to fit on 50mm I just snapped off the edges until they fit. I then filled in all around the casts with white glue and applied course sand. Primed black, drybrushed mud and stone, detail painted the molded-in ferns and skulls, applied grass and done.

'Til next time.