Wednesday, March 13, 2013

eFeora vs Rask

Elliot dropped by for our weekly Warmachine slugfest last night. I'd recently signed up for my first Hardcore tournament (Lock & Load coming in under 3 months) and I wanted to start getting some practice in. Elliot agreed to a 50 point match, and decided to take a break from Khador...he busted out his most recently painted minion army...Rask and Gators.

Hardcore just uses one scenario...there is a 12"x12" control zone in the middle. Dominate it with your 'caster, and the opposing 'caster takes 5 points of damage. 50 points...7 minute turns...close quarters. It's all trouble.



Elliot's army consisted of Rask, two units of Gators, Wrong Eye & Snapjaw, a Wrastler, a Swamp Horror, a couple of Bullsnappers and a unit of Bog Trog Ambushers.


I'm trying something new. eFeora with a mess of character 'jacks and a bonded Sanctifier. There is also a unit of Flameguard, Rhoven, Choir, Book and a Vassal.


Unfortunately, in our excitement to play this game (and even trying to play first time out with the insanely short 7 minute time limits), I missed a number of game photo opportunities. Dang.

Minion turn 1. Elliot won the roll to go first. He doesn't have a super-fast army, so the Gators lead the slog up to the edge of the control zone.

Menoth turn 1. I move up to the control zone as well. My army synergy relies on dying infantry units...so the Flameguard move up out of Shieldwall. As shown here...


Minion turn 2. Elliot charges Gators into my face and eats 4 Flamegaurd and one of Rhoven's bodyguards. This results in 3 souls on the Sanctifier, Hand of Vengeance triggered on Blood of Martyrs, Righteous Vengeance on Fire of Salvation, and Battle Driven on Rhoven and Cassian. Elliot also Ambushes into my support staff with the Bog Trogs. I loose my Vassal and a Choir member. As shown here...


Menoth turn 2. My 'jacks go apeshit and blow a hole deep into Elliot's center. The Avatar runs off to the left flank and Gazes to pull away as much of Elliot's army as he can...hopefully leaving Rask for me to down next turn. Wishful thinking.


Gratuitous pic of Snapjaw facing down the Fire of Salvation. Rask is in the background with Admonition up...Elliot will ensure I don't get close to assassinating his 'lock.


Minion turn #3. Elliot concocts an assassination run on eFeora. He gets half-way through a 6-step Rube Goldberg machine when he realizes he's activated out of order. This leaves him out of position, but the turn is by no means a loss for him. He's killed the Avatar, the Sanctifier and has put 12 hits on eFeora. No pics. Bummer.

Menoth turn #3. Elliot salvaged a lot out of his last turn, but I think I can deliver a big counter-punch on this turn. Unfortunately, we screwed up some rules and my moves turned out to be very underwhelming. Rulings to note: 1) You must advance in the direction your model is directly facing. 2) A tentacle free strike doing a pull on a disengaging model does not end the target model's activation.

At the end of my turn I had only succeeded in killing Wrong Eye, causing Snapjaw to become an uncontrolled wild beast, and putting 4 points of damage on Rask with a flamethrower attack. Situation at the end of the turn, here...


Elliot's coup de grace is about to go off. Helo tries to tell me I'm in trouble. Smartass cat.


Minion turn #4. Elliot slams Snapjaw with a Bullsnapper, clearing just enough space to allow his Swamp Horror to get through to eFeora. Dead 'caster, and Elliot takes the game.


It was nice to see Elliot's Minions out...it's been some time. And the beautiful conversion work he did on his Swamp Horror is really a sight to behold. It looks very cool.

The Hardcore time limit is super-restrictive. I gave up trying to finish my turns in 7 minutes shortly after starting the game. I'll need plenty of more practice with this army and the scenario format.

'Til next time.

3 comments:

  1. Great report! Very helpful, as I am learning my way through gators. The terrain and armies look great too.

    I believe snapjaw was supposed to be removed from play when wrongeye died though, as he is a companion. The bull snapper he had would be wild.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see Rask on the table, I'm very tempted to get into the Gators for him alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Revenant,
    Ah, more stuff we did wrong. Thanks for pointing these problems out. Will make for a cleaner game next time.

    ReplyDelete