Sunday, July 27, 2014

D&D 5th Edition and Some Ratmen

I got the role playing bug again. So as game ideas were swirling around in my head, I heard that Wizards was putting out yet another edition of Dungeons & Dragons (called D&D Next for some reason). Actually, getting a new edition of D&D out, after the twin disasters of 4th Ed and the rocketing popularity of Pathfinder, makes perfect sense. D&D was hemorrhaging market share. Better to admit your mistake and get a better version of the game out ASAP.


Anyway, I found the idea of dipping my toes back into D&D a little intriguing. I haven't played D&D since 1st edition AD&D over 30 years ago. There have been so many superior role playing games published since then. I wondered what the state of the D&D game was 30 years on...and the price was right. I picked up the new introductory boxed set for just $20.

To be honest, I was impressed with what I found. The core of D&D hasn't changed, so there is an archaic feel to it. Six stats, D20 rolls, different sized dice for hit points and weapon damage...all that sort of thing. However, as I read the rules, I could see that they were very much more streamlined and logical than old D&D used to be. And, from what I heard about 4th edition, this one is much less "video gamey."

I had my rules and the intro adventure (which is pretty good...taking characters from 1st to 5th level in the Forgotten Realms setting) spiral bound and re-covered. The box also comes with 5 pre-generated characters (these are actually really well done and serve as a good entry point for the game) and a set of dice.


I plan on running a few intro games of the boxed set adventure with some people in August and September, just to try out the rules and see if i can cobble a regular RPG group back together.

To kick things off on the hobby front, I painted up a set of Ratmen (GW Skaven from the Island of Blood set). I'll be able to use these for role playing and skirmish gaming with Song of Blades and Heroes.


Now I need to get some Warmachine pieces finished off...this stuff never ends!

'Til next time.

2 comments: