So this past week I decided to move the Damiano project warjack's forward. Again, a shot of the cleaned parts...
OK, I really wanted to do a cool scheme on these jacks...so I decided to get inspired by one of the most recognizable post-WWII camouflage schemes around...US Woodland pattern.
Also known as M81 General Purpose Pattern, this camouflage scheme was in use for over 20 years by the US military, and by numerous other countries. Painting this four-color pattern on four 'jacks was going to be challenging and time consuming...I wanted to get started right away.
Assembly first. I kept weapons off for the time being, as I needed good access to the models to render the scheme.
All the bits got pinned and attached to cork for easy painting.
The 'jacks got attached to cylinders for ease of handling...and then all the pieces were primed black.
The first color down was Vallejo Air Model Camo Light Green. I then started the laborious task of masking for the second color...which was going to be Camo Light Brown.
Masking takes a long time. Be patient. Drink a lot...of alcohol.
The results are worth it. The brown sprayed on nicely, and the foundation is there for a good camo scheme.
All the masks were removed, and then new ones were applied for the beige pattern. This step used up the most tape so far, and took a long time. There is a lot of X-Acto knife work to cut the patterns into tape. Drink more.
However, when tape came off, I was very happy with the result. The beige is Vallejo Model Air...a 50/50 mix of Hemp and Sand.
Now it's on to masking and spraying beige on the other three 'jacks.
'Til next time.