Friday, January 6, 2012

Star Spangled SPAD

Last weekend I wrote up my 2011 review. As I was posting that blog entry, I realized that I hadn't done a single WWI model last year. What?!?

Time to right that injustice. Fortunately, I had a project I really wanted to do. A few months back, I'd ordered away for some after-market decals for 94th Aero Squadron post-WWI showbird paint schemes. Captain Reed Chambers' "Stars and Stripes" scheme I found particularly eye-catching. These decals came from Mark's Models and Toys and were designed for the Eduard 1/72 late-model SPAD XIII.


There are a couple of photos of the original plane, from March 1919. Reed Chambers met with a fair bit of success during the war. He was credited with 6 enemy planes downed, as well as one balloon.


Each SPAD in the squadron was painted in its own unique and spectacular scheme. Marvelous!


As you can imagine, this project was an exercise in decal application. I sprayed the wings with Reaper Linen White (bright white, as a paint, did not come available until long after WWI). I started with the wing decals while closing up the fuselage and filling with GW's liquid green stuff.


There were chunks of the fuselage that needed to be painted in the same shade of blue that appears on the wing decals. I was able to get a pretty close match by mixing Vallejo French Blue with Pale Blue Grey. I masked and sprayed for the nose and tail plane.


Fuselage stripes and lots and lots of little star decals.


Presto!


Rigging was heated, stretched plastic sprue, painted metal.


Pilot figure was a resin piece I had in the parts box.


Even though this scheme was painted 5 months after the war, I'll have no reservation fielding this in our next Canvas Eagles game.

'Til next time.

4 comments:

  1. Really nice work. Looks great.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are a very patient modeler! What a great result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog!

    Im following you!

    You can follow me too, i Got a Painting blog!

    http://malditoduendeminiatures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin, beautiful paint scheme and nicely done!

    ReplyDelete